"The Marist Brothers’ Center at Esopus is a place where a Marist approach to ministry, formation, and service work together to evangelize young people and adults."
The Marist Brothers of the Schools, a Roman-Catholic order of religious brothers, acquired the property in 1942. Originally a preparatory school for young men discerning their Marist vocation, The Marist Brothers' Center at Esopus has long been a haven for young people seeking to develop and nurture a spiritual life. Each year nearly 4,000 young people spend time at the retreat house.
The Center stretches over 120 acres of Hudson Valley landscape: pine knolls, shale outcroppings, tended lawns, and wooded paths winding down to the banks of the Hudson. As rich in history as aesthetic beauty, the property is part of the original grand Hudson River estates of John Jacob Astor and Oliver Hazard Payne.
The Marist Brothers’ Center at Esopus is devoted to the work of Christian evangelization. Here the presence of God is discovered in a new way by young people and adults alike. Hearts are touched, lives changed and “Jesus is made known and loved.”
Founded and administered by the Marist Brothers, a Roman Catholic religious order established for the Christian education of youth with special concern for the poor and marginalized, the Center offers experiences of community, service, and spiritual formation in a setting of great natural beauty. “In this sacred space, on this holy ground, God’s grace touches people in many different ways.”
The Marist values of welcome and acceptance, joyful service to others, community, simplicity, humility, and love of God mark the programs offered by the Center as well as the approach of all who live and serve there.